Monday, November 05, 2012

Happy Belated Halloween!

I've been busier than a zombie at an all you can eat brain buffet... so I didn't get to post anything last week wishing everyone a Happy Halloween. What with Hurricane Sandy, power outages, and all the other crap that got in the way of the best holiday of the year; I still had fun and celebrated... but didn't really share. I did - at the height of the storm - get out to Mentor and saw John Carpenter's Halloween on the big screen.

Believe me when I say that Carpenter's masterpiece loses something on the small screen. It was the first time I'd seen Halloween in a theater and it was a gorgeous sight to behold. It was fucking incredible. If you ever get the chance, you must see it in a movie theater with full digital surround sound. You will not be disappointed.

Anyway, also due to the storm, Halloween was actually extended to Sunday, 11/4, in my community... so that means 2 awesome things. Namely that Halloween lasted 4 days longer, and - best of all - Halloween is actually 4 doors closer NEXT YEAR.

So, in lieue of my total lack of posting last week, I decided to pull out the video camera and record trick or treating last night.

Trick or treating, and the celebration of halloween, is a crucial part of the whole Samhain ceremony. It's the one night of the year where our communities come closer, and children get to dress up and go door to door, reveling in the gloomy darkness and eating candy. Crunching on fallen leaves as they go from house to house, it is a memory that we all share from our childhoods. It's the one thing that makes Halloween so cool.

So, in honor of that time-honored American tradition of trick or treating - here's this year's Halloween video message.



And remember - only 360 or so days until NEXT Halloween!

No comments: